Yesterday I did not come into the office. I went for a seminar organized by our supplier. Well, we don't buy from them direct, but we do use a lot of their products by buying it from a 3rd party fabrication company.
This is a technical seminar, hence, the presenter as expected talks on only technical aspect of their products. All attendees are either system designers, fabricators, etc. To sum up I think everyone sitting in the room yesterday would have had a degree in some engineering be it Chemical or Mechanical or Electrical or Civil or Bio-Technology etc. That means all sitting inside are all technical people.
There is a chance in trend that I clearly notice. Previously when you attend these technical seminars, it will be mostly males. However, for the seminar yesterday, it was up to 70% female. It is clearly noted that over the years, there were more and more females is working in the technical field.
Overall, it was a very demanding technical seminar. It started at 0830 and lasted all the way up to 6pm. Nothing outstanding about the seminar, just the usual stuffs that we are used to. I think most of those sitting inside there know the practical aspect of the product more then the presenters themselves.
One interesting thing that happen yesterday is that one of the participant brought along his son to the seminar. This boy is hardly 15 years old. What is this guy up to? Pity the boy. He hardly know anything about the water industries, he is not at all involved and I can see during the whole seminar, he have no idea at all what are the presenter talking about.
Just perhaps because his father wants to attend this seminar, he is drag along. But one thing I see he is enjoying the most is the food they served during the tea breaks and buffet lunch. Perhaps his father wants to save some lunch money or something, hence, the easiest way is to bring along his son. He knows very well when he registers his son, he will be provided a place to sit and lunch and tea breaks. In fact, this person, he owners his own company, he has his wife there in the seminar too. I heard from an ex-colleague of mine, his wife is working for him in the same office, hence, the wife tagged along too! Is the economic that bad that now people have to bring along their families for any free lunches available?
Overall, it was just an average seminar. Nothing impressive. Perhaps they have had their new products in the market for too long already and it had become nothing new to us. I don't think anyone is impressed with the seminar. Although I have to say, I did learn a few new tricks of the trade that was nice to know but not very practical to use, still it is good to know that there are people doing such things.
Tuesday, December 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment