As I had posted earlier, I got a very cold feedback for the farewell dinner for my (now) ex-colleague, Red.
I was rather surprise the reason people can give for not wanting to attend the dinner.
When we first join this company, perhaps difference of about 1 month apart, Red join first before me, we both reported to this particular manager - Onion. Then, about a month later, Onion was then transferred to another location and we both reports directly to the Country Director.
All these times, we helped to resolve a lot of Onion's site issues. However, when I spoke to Onion asking if he wanted to join the dinner yesterday, he decline it. So, I did not ask further. Don't know for whatsoever reason, nearing the evening, just before Onion wants to leave the office, he walks into my room and inform me that the weather outside was excellent and he is going for his game.
I was surprised. Come on man, you can have your game anytime later, next week, next month, next year etc. There were so many more chances for you to play, but for farewell dinner, the particular person only leaves the company once, perhaps in your lifetime. Is playing game more important than keeping the friendship and showing token of appreciation to a fellow colleague?
At times, I really cannot comprehend the way people think. Perhaps we put different priorities differently in life. To me, without a doubt, family and friends always comes first before anything else.
I was so frustrated and disappointed with the reason Onion refuse the dinner. It might be better that he did not come in to my room to tell me his reason for not wanting to attend the dinner.
Anyway, what had been said and done have been a thing of the past. We cannot reverse this fact. Overall, I think it was also a blessing in disguise that Onion did not turn up for the dinner, else the atmosphere of the dinner might be very different.
The dinner was nice. Only 3 of us went for this dinner together with Red. We went for seafood near the old airport area, had fish, squids, 2 different types of vegetable and a soy bean curd. Completed the meal with some coconut jelly was was something quite special.
The bill was suppose to be shared by 3 of us but, I decided to take it up myself as a token of appreciation to Red for all his guidance and friendship all these years. I can say, most of my current waste water treatment knowledge and experiences are from him. I had learn so much from him over the years. Therefore, what is a farewell dinner as compared to all the knowledge and experiences that he had shared with me.
Thursday, January 28, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I am sorry to hear this. It does not take a lot of money to be rich, and have good dinner, it takes heart and sincerity. I am glad you enjoyed the dinner.
Thanks Vinegar. You are right, it takes heart and sincerity to have good dinner.
Post a Comment