Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Volunteer Work

Last Sunday, I went to an Outreach volunteer work near where I stay. Actually, I am not suppose to attend for this work as I only participate on 3rd Sundays with this branch.

The outreach utilize a Church area to organise their services. Again, basic medical and dental care are provided with 2 medical doctors and 2 dentist came to extend their services.

However, since this service is provided via a makeshift mobile setup, everything is down to the very basic. The dental chair is the common "lazy man" chair. However, the other setup e.g. vacuum, drilling with water jet etc are the custom build mobile unit type.

The setup is so basic that at times, the light provided is not bright enough that dental assistant have to hold a torch light to shine into the mouth of the patient.

However, one this that I am really impressed is that they never neglect hygiene factor. Everything single equipment are properly washed, sterilized and packed. This is one thing that is crucial as any contaminated tools / equipment will lead to serious negative consequences. Hence, it was not taken lightly.

The event started as early at 0730 and when I arrived, there were so many volunteers already in action already. By 0800, the morning briefing starts and it was adjourn for simple breakfast. Buns, fried noodles, vegetarian curry and some coffee.

Then patient started coming as soon as 0900 and the whole activity went until like 1000 and no more new patient waiting on queue. All the volunteers there were just sitting around and chit-chatting as there is nothing much to do.

Then, by about 11am, the doctors decided to leave since he had waited half and hour and no patient came along. So, we started cleaning the place and packed up everything. By 1230, the lorry came along to take everything away and the place were left as we came in this morning. There is even a group of volunteers sweeping and mopping the floor.

Well, its kinda nice to spend half a day a week to extend your arm to help those in need. Everyone there are all on volunteer basis, hence, you can see everyone there work with a wide smile on their face.

We took our lunch pack and headed home and by about 1245, I am home and taking my shower already. This weekend is the volunteer work in the other branch that me and my gf use to go, it should be another day of fun at the same time helping others.

No comments: