Monday, November 16, 2009

One day trip to Singapore

Last Tuesday (10th Nov 2009), I did a one day trip to Singapore for a meeting with a customer. I took the budget airline which takes off from the Subang Airport, which once use to be an international airport for Malaysia.

The day started early. I woke up at 0530 and left home at 0630 for a 25 minutes drive from my house to the airport. This airport is very near and convenient. Rather than travelling for 45 minutes to the budget terminal to catch the 'other' budget airline which operates very near to the KLIA, this airport is merely 25 minutes away from my house.

The operator uses propeller plane series ATR turbo propeller plane. Hence, it seats only like 70 or so passenger. Normally the jet aeroplane will take about 40 minutes to reach Singapore airport, the propeller plane takes about 1 hour and 20 minutes due to the slower flying speed.

The plane also fly at lower altitude, approx 10,000 ft rather than typical jet aeroplane which fly at 30,000 or so feet. Hence, along the way on a clear sky, I can see container and cruise ships along the Straits of Malacca.

Unlike the conventional budget airline where you have to pay for your food and drinks, this budget airline does provide some muffins and a cup of fruit juice along the flight. No you cannot choose the type of fruit juice, but its better than nothing right?

The flight took of 10 minutes later than schedule, instead of 0820 flight, it only started boarding at 0820 and took off at 0830, hence when I arrive at Singapore budget terminal, it is nearly 10am already.

Then, I boarded a cab to my Singapore sales office in Gul Lane,which took me another 40 minutes and cost me SGD30. By the time I reach and settles down in the office, it is nearly lunch time and a supplier came along to meet me for a lunch. The meeting with the customer that was initially scheduled at 2pm had been postpone by the customer until 2.30pm as the customer had been delayed in the other supplier's place.

The meeting went on until 8pm, just in time for me to catch a taxi again from the office to the budget terminal to check in for my return flight which was scheduled at 10.25pm. I reaches the airport in ample time for me to check-in and have my fast food dinner.

On buying the dinner, I was lucky to win myself a free apple pie with my meal. In Singapore, they have this Mega burger which have 2 chicken patties instead of the normal one piece which they use to serve in Malaysia. Nice and hot from the stove.

Then, scroll around the budget terminal, bought myself a fridge magnet of the "Merlion" as souvenir. Boarded the plane and it took of as schedule. Arrive safely back at the Malaysia budget airport at 11.45pm and went straight to the parking lot to drive my car back home reaching home at about 12.10am.

For the whole day parking it only cost me RM18 which is much cheaper as compared to if I had taken a taxi from my house to the airport which will cost me RM80 for the return trip.

Overall, the trip was a very fruitful one. Although it is demanding, in term of timing, is like I have been on official duty for 18 hours but manage to cross 2 countries in a single day. Travelled nearly 900km in terms of distance within the same day and attended 5 and a half hours of meeting.

Well, that's my one day trip to Singapore for official meeting, which is rather common and I have done it a few times before.

No comments: