Sunday, March 22, 2009

Finding a HOME

This topic just strikes me earlier today. Over the weekend, my gf and me went to a lawyer office to sign our Sales and Purchase Agreement for our new house.

We have been looking for a HOME for some time already. In fact, I am the one who intended to buy a new house as age is fast catching up with me and in a few more years, I can no longer afford to get a loan for 30 years span, therefore, I took the initiative to look for a house. I seek the kind agreement with my gf as I know eventually the house will be OUR HOME.

The whole process started back in early October last year as we both intended to buy a 2.5 storey house. We negotiated a deal with the owner and both parties had agree on the final price. The whole process went on reasonably smooth initially, however, the owner then came up with unreasonable demand.

He told me that he will only want to sell the house after he had found another house, which no one knows when. Then, I call off the deal as I think it is not fair for us to wait for unknown timeline. Therefore, we decided to continue our search.

Then, another bad news had came along the way. In November, my dad passed away. During the bereavement period, all the house looking process came to a halt. I put everything on the shelf again.

After about 2 months and having finalizing and sorting out my dad's matter, by chance, one fine Saturday morning, while I was driving home after our weekly groceries shopping, I came across this big advertisement board on a road and happen that I read it in detail.

The advertisement had been there for a long time already. I think it had been there for more than one year but it did not catch my eyes all these while until that Saturday morning. I took the turn and went to see the sample model house together with my mom. We both saw the sample house and like it. Then, I went to enquire about the selling status and the house buying process again started.

My gf and me both too our time to detail the purchase, from choosing the right unit to finalizing the details with the developer. When I first started to enquire from the developer, the offer at that time was selling price minus three thousand. Then, my gf and me decided that due to the current economic situation, we both want to take a step back to hold the purchase for the time being. The buying and decision process is not as easy. Initially we wanted the unit no. 50.

However, due to my uncle's due diligence, he had noted that in the front of that row there are toilets. Again, we both went and accessed the situation and found that it is not an ideal choice already, even though the unit is not directly facing the toilets, but there is kinda a shed by the side of the house. My gf have a safety and privacy concern which I was also in agreement with her. After that we opted for another unit a bit down the same road no. 82A. It is ironic that there is such believe that the number 4 is not a good. However, to both of us, it is just a sequential number after 1, 2 and 3. How to say it is not good?? That is the reason this unit have not been sold. So both of us decided that we will not adhere to the number believe and proceed to view the unit in more detail.

Then, I took my chance to initiate talks with the developer and a few weeks ago, the developer came out with another better offer. All stamp duties for the MOT is free. That will cost me easily eight thousand. Good thing I adhere to my gf's opinion and waited. Now we enjoy even better savings. So two Saturdays ago, we both went to the developer to place our booking for the house we wanted and last weekend we signed the agreement.

As you might have noticed, the whole article uses the word "us" / "we". For me, buying a house is different from buying a "HOME". In buying a "HOME" we seek each other's opinion and decides for the best option.

It is always a joint decision and it is something that belongs to "us" together. There should not be any one man veto power. In this decision, both have to respect each other's opinion and views. It is a joint effort to build a HOME. I wanted to create a space we both can agree and proud to call it our HOME. Not that I wanted to be the provider, but I want us to share the effort and responsibility to build our future.

This is just the first small step for the long journey forward. Lets enjoy this journey...

No comments: