This year I think it is the 10th year (if my memory serves me correctly) one of the most watched sporting event in the world is held in Malaysia - The Malaysian Formula One or F1 for short.
In the previous years, F1 races starts at about 2pm and the 56 laps of race will finish by about 4pm. However, due to the hot weather in Malaysia, this year the organizer tries to be beat the heat by changing the race time from 2pm to 4pm so that the track is cooler. Well, think of it, isn't it a good move to change the timing just to reduce the heat of the race? The driver feels cooler, the car V12 engines runs cooler, hence higher speed can be achieved, the race track tarmac is cooler, hence, the tyres sticks less, everything is positive.
However, this had another negative implication. They did not foresee the weather in Malaysia which rains comes mostly in the evening. This is exactly what happen yesterday evening. The five red lights on the starting grid went off at approx 4pm Malaysian time which marks the start of the race, then by about half way thru, when the drivers were at the 20 odd laps, the rain started to pour and it got so heavy until one of the driver quoted saying ... “What a crazy race, it really was, especially in the final couple of laps.....It wasn’t like it was rivers, it was a lake. (Jenson Button, The Star Newspaper 6th April 2009). The race was called off at the 31st lap as the rain was too heavy and the track became too dangerous to continue racing.
I wonder how would the F1 fans whom bought the tickets will feel. Pay a few hundred bucks and only watch slightly more than half of the race. I wonder if the organiser refund for the tickets. Its not fair right? I pay for the full ticket price, expecting to see the cars speeds by me for 56 times, then ended up, I see them for only 31 times. Even if they don't refund the tickets, by just giving a F1 shirt to everyone I think they should be happy. Mind you, on Saturday, there is a kinda promotional event in the KLCC, there, the F1 shirts were for sale, each shirt cost about RM450. No, I typed them correctly and you read them right, RM450 each!!! I wonder if the material of the shirt is similar to those F1 drivers wear which is fire retardant... hmm???
The reason I am writing this is because, sitting down in the office here at 2pm, the rain is again pouring heavily outside and it reminds me of the race yesterday.
Anyhow, the F1 fever in Malaysia had again came and went, champion teams celebrated, not so fortunate team pack up and look forward for the race in China next round, hopefully with a kinder weather and better luck and fans got their fair share of looking at the cars speed across them one seconds, then standing still another minute waiting for the rain to stop.
Well, that's F1 in Malaysia..... please drive carefully during the raining season. Happy motoring!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment