Tuesday, February 17, 2009

First Aid, CPR & Fire Fighting Training

Our company had arrange a First Aid / CPR training for us. It is a 2 days course + free one day fire fighting skills.

This course is gives me a lot of memory refreshment. I have received previous training on CPR and First Aid back in school days being in St. John Ambulance club. Then, I also did my lifeguard training (as I am a certified life guard) and learn more advance CPR.

However, it seems like the CPR courses had been simplified with the latest version (dated to 2005 - latest revision). This is a more simplified version of doing a CPR.

The second day is the first aid training. We are trained to put on bandages, slings, supports, neck brace, head restrain and also proper way to lift the injured person. In the afternoon session, we have a "drama" training. This is where some will be chosen to be the victim - where they will pour some red colouring on you to simulate blood and see your response. It is good and really realistic. I just had a real feel of panic situation when you see so many victims laying down on the floor with various injuries. The situation is not easy to control and handle.

The final day of the training session is the basic fire fighting training. This training basically train you on the class of fires, the type of fire extinguishers and their content. In the market there were 4 types of fire exthingusihers, namely, water, powder, foam and carbon dioxide. For most of the fires powder can be used, but it is a little messy, but what the heck, in a fire we don't care much about mess anymore right? We got a chance to try out the feeling of using a fire extinguisher for real rather than just looking at it hanging on the wall everyday.

Anyway, the best part of the fire fighting course is when the trainer pull out the fire hose from the cabinet and connected it to the fire hydrant and open the valve. The volume and pressure of the water from the fire hydrant is really incredible and it is not easy to hold down the water hose / nozzle.

For having completed the 3 days training and having passed all the assessment, I can proudly call myself a certified First Aider which is valid for 2 years before taking a refresher course.

Over the 3 days, I learn a lot and find it is really useful. So, to all of you out there, if you get the chance to attend such training, don't miss it. I am very sure it will be useful and lots of fun.... enjoy training...

No comments: