Only in 2004, its the very first time I attended an office Christmas Party. In the old company which I worked for previously, there is no such event. Perhaps its a kinda Chinese family owned business, they don't celebrate Christmas, but the irony thing is that we don't even observe Chinese celebrations e.g. "Mei Nga", "Kor Thong" etc. The only event we celebrate or get to celebrate is the "Hoi Kong Zhou" (or dinner after the start of work after the Chinese New Year holidays).
However, when I came over to this new company, the first party I attended is the Christmas Party held in the office. Food is catered from an Italian restaurant, in which we get pasta, roast lamb, grill chicken, fresh salads, garlic bread etc. Beer and hard liqueur is served free flow.
The "Mat Salleh" (this is the term we use to address the people from oversea) boss had started hurdling the team to the pantry by the time the clock hits 3pm. He went round the office to every floor and slam shut all the laptops regardless if you are still half way writing your mail or doing some official works. He will say (and I still remember) ".... stop working, its CHRISTMAS!!" I remember I saw him outside my room slamming down my engineer's laptop and I quickly shut off mine before he makes into my room to slam mine to prevent my laptop hanging.
We will then make a beeline into the pantry and the boss started with beer for everyone and then there comes Johnny, walking into the pantry and "he" didn't come alone, along with him came a few other pals of his e.g. Vodka, Red Label, Gordon and Baileys.The party had started way before the caterer arrived.
Then, when the caterer arrive at about 5pm, food is served. By that time we had had enough drinks in our stomach that we can hardly eat anything else. Somehow the food also find its way into the stomach.
By the time dinner is over by 7pm, we started exchanging gifts. There is a memo communicated across the office beforehand, that everyone attending the party must prepare a gift. There were some rules for this gift, e.g. no less than RMxx, Not something perishable, No Chocolates, No Food stuffs, etc etc. All this rules / guidelines are made by the secretaries. However, I was surprise to see the team is very discipline to adhere to those rules.
Its kinda lucky draw scheme where all the gifts are numbered and the person draw a number from the "black box" and the gift are matched to the number on your had drawn.
The party went on until about 830pm, then all went back with a gift in their hands, a stomach full of food and a floating head. Its really an enjoyable party and at that time you can see the whole team having fun.
Well, this year as everyone knows there is a slowdown in the economy, there is no such party organised. Hopefully, by next year or the coming years, the economy will pick up and there will be such Christmas Party in the office again.
Anyway, have a great Christmas and Happy Holidays!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment