Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Weekend Mails

It is funny thing that people like to send you e-mails over the weekend which I don't know what is the reason for it. The reason I am saying this is because we tend to get so many mails on the first day of work morning.


It get on my nerves that there had been so many mails on a monday morning. Are the people too tempted to send out e-mails over the weekend? Are they so hard working that even on weekend they can't get their mind off work?

Imagine this scenario... on Friday evening, when the day is over at approx 5pm, you check your mail for the last time and call it a week. Then, you shut down your computer and leave the office expecting all correspondences to clear for the week.


To your surprise, there will be some people that send you e-mails over the weekend. Some are so crazy when you look at the time and date it was send on Saturday 10pm, or even Sunday at 8pm.


Hey, what are you guys doing there working on your mails on Saturday night at 10pm or even Sunday at 8pm where you suppose to spend time with your family members for dinner or other family activities? Can't you just leave work at work and only start working on Monday morning instead? Weird.


I don't know, perhaps I have been working too long already and really cherish weekends breaks. For me weekends is the time you use to catch up with your loved onces and have lunches or dinner or even supper together and then spend time to sit and chit-chat. It is also for you to rewind the whole weeks workload and be prepared for the coming week.


Are these people that anxious to start their working week already that even weekends to them is just like any other working days?

When I first started my working life, as a fresh graduate I didn't care much about weekends. Perhaps for my first 5 years of working life, I was working on a five and a half working day week company.

Therefore, I don't really appreciate weekends. Also at that time, even weekends, I need to wake up early to go for my part time classes which is from morning 8.30am until evening 6pm on alternate Saturdays and Sundays. Even those weekends without classes, most of the time is spend reading the books. At that time, the only thing that I like on weekends is when my gf is back for her holidays, which I really look forward to seeing her every weekends, even including now. But, now we get to meet more often... (that's a different set of stories for later).

So for me, for the first 5 years of being a young engineer, weekends means nothing much to me. However, things starts to change when I join a different company in the 3rd quarter of 2004. This company, which I am still working now works 5 days a week. At that time, I had also completed my studies and suddently, I woke up realizing there were much more time in my hands than I previously knew.

On weekends, I get to do the things I like, e.g. dating my lovely gf, going for movies, watching life EPL football on TV, swimming, having lunch and dinner with my whole family, swimming, servicing my car, washing my car etc.

It never came into my mind to even work on weekends. Work for me stops at 1700 hrs on Fridays or the eve of any public holidays.... but, if you ask my gf, she will disagree. Because I have my teams all around Asia Pacific, therefore, the work goes on even on weekends. But, I told myself I will not do my mails or call anyone with regards to work on weekends, however, you still cannot stop people from calling you instead right?

To me now, weekends seems to fly by so quick. The quality time I spend with my family and my gf seems so short to me and 2 days in not enough. But what can I do??

Just have to cheerish every minute of it and stay out from the daily 5 days routine and don't send mails on weekends!!

2 comments:

Vinegar said...

Strangely enough, I had some thoughts about weekends last night. And I wanted to do something more useful over the weekend, things like learning violin. I feel guilty for not learning something over the weekend... oh well, long story...

I seldom get email over the weekend. May be because I am just a small fly.

kevin said...

HI Vinegar, not necessary small fly don't get mails over the weekend. I am also a small fly too you know, still people don't let me go over the weekend. So Happy Working!!