Sunday, October 25, 2009

Changing Role

Looking at the blog, it had been quite a while since I have updated this blog. I was really busy with work for the last few weeks. Did a local travel to the East Coast too over the past week.

Last week (week of 19th of Oct), I was on my annual leave for 2 days on the 20th and 21st of Oct 2009 (Tuesday & Wednesday) as Wednesday is the 4th day of the 9th Month in the Chinese calendar - the 1st Anniversary for my Dad. So fast time flies, it had been a year since my Dad left us. We had some prayers at home for this first anniversary.

On that afternoon, after the prayers, I came to the office to leave together with my fellow co-workers to the East Coast as the meeting with the customer there will start at 0830 on Thursday. Therefore, we have to be there one day earlier to put up a night there to prepare for the next morning's meeting. The meeting were suppose to last for 2 days, but it went so smoothly, we manage to get it done in a day. Hence, we came back on the Thursday evening right after the meeting. We started the journey from our hotel at approx 1830 and reached home at 2200.

Then, on Friday, just before I leave the office, I went to see my boss as for this project, my other colleague seems to be doing all the works since I left on the 20th and 21st Oct. My boss told me he have move me forward from being in Project to Sales role. He ask me to leave this project with my colleague (M) as he now have nothing to do in the office. He is not able to move M from project to sales as he is not fit to do it. He can only do project works, hence, I am the better option to carry the sales role.

I am really glad with that decision. Being in sales role, the task is not as demanding as projects. We only need to prepare proposal and costing and meet with customers and try to secure a deal. After which, it will be left to the project dept for the rest of the items. Also another part is in our sales role, we do not need to "hunt" for customers. The customers will be pointed out by the other core sales team, we only need to support them in return.

Over the weekend, I felt totally relax. It felt like a heavy load just being lifted off my shoulders. After working for 10 years, all the while doing project works, for the first time, I do not have to worry about project works.

Project management is not an easy task. There is lots of things to coordinate. At times I have sleepless nights too when the project is in a runaway train mode. Not only that, being in project also, customer will come after you even when you have completed and handed over the project as typical equipment supplies comes with a 12 months of warranty which I need to attend too as well. Now, all that is all behind me for now. Not sure when is it going to be back on my shoulders. Perhaps not anymore again. Now I just have to focus on writing proposals and work on prospects. Really been looking forward for this time!!

Well, to all readers out there, things change in life for the better (or worse). We need to be versatile to adapt to that change.

No comments: