I have came here before many times during the course of a project which we my company was awarded a job here back in 2007. Now after approx 3 years, we are on the final run of this project and I was invited by the customer here for a final review and defect rectification meeting.
During the course of this project, there were many ups and downs. I myself had learned a lot of things while running this project. The project was to build a resort island from once an island devastated by the 2004 Tsunami.
While in transit in Singapore, I met the customer's Project Manager (JC) which is one of the most calm and cool Project Manager I have ever met. We had our initial discussion and flew all the way from Singapore arriving at about 10pm in Male and on transit for another flight to a place call Gan, which is the south most group of island in Maldives.
Then, in the transit flight, I met with another contractor which was also invited here for this meeting. This contractor supplied the interior design for this resort and he personally had been stationed and worked here for the last 2 years.
Upon arriving at Gan, I checked into a local hotel while JC and the contractor I met checked into one of the most expensive hotel here in Maldives. While in the airport, we were checking out ourselves where are each of us staying and the contractor actually mentioned that I should grab the offer the customer (which is the owner of the hotel). The villa they offered to us is at USD250++ per night. Normal rate for this villa is about USD1,250 per night. What a bargain!!
I did not check into this hotel is because it is too expensive for our company rates. Hence, upon arrival in Gan about 2am, I proceed to the hotel my colleague here booked for me.
However, in the morning, I called my boss and explain to him that I am willing to pay the difference in the cost to take this bargain to stay in the customer's hotel, however, to my surprise, my boss says proceed to check in and don't worry, I can claim it in full. I was so happy with it and immediately, I packed and checked into this hotel.
We had our meeting where all the contractors came at 10am and it lasted until 12pm when we break for lunch and then at 3pm, again the meeting continue with individual contractor which lasted until 5pm.
Upon coming out from the meeting, I checked into my villa - Water Villa no. 247. This is call Water Villa because the villa is actually sitting about the Indian Ocean with water flowing under me.
Me and my colleague took a dip in the Indian Ocean, which is first time for me even though I have been here so many times. I fully enjoyed the villa facilities and setup. This hotel group is one of the high end hotel group in the world, hence explains for the price of their rooms and villas.
During the construction phase of this project, when we first heard the rate of they are going to charge, no one ever dream of staying here. It is for the rich and famous which can afford and willing to spend above USD1,000 per night stays. Not for us ordinary working people.
Well, here I am now, in my Water Villa no 247 (actually its villa no. 47 - 2 is just indicating the type of villa), blogging this entry and enjoying every minute of it. I take it as a company paid holiday for the hard work and effort I have put in over the last 3 years to make this project a success and bring it to a closure.
No comments:
Post a Comment